Friday, June 8, 2007

What the World Eats

This isn't exactly about kids and food but this is still food for thought. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the amount of sodas and other convenience foods being consumed by the "average" American families.

We are a family of 7 and don't spend nearly as much money on food as the American families. We don't eat a heck of a lot of junk. I very very rarely buy a packaged meal. They just don't feed a family our size without buying 2-3 of them and that's not very cost effective at all.

There's just a joy in preparing food with my family that I think helps us not to spend as much on groceries. We don't waste anything. I about had a heart attack when I found a forgotten cantaloupe completely rotten. Leftovers go for next day lunches or frozen for dinners when the kids don't like what I've made or those nights when I just don't feel like cooking. That little bit of cereal left, not quite enough for a bowl, gets put into a zip-loc bag and becomes snackables.

Anyway, I think we're going to make some peanut butter fudge this afternoon. The 8 yo has been bothering me about it ever since she saw it on her favorite show. I think she has a crush on Alton Brown heehee

No comments: